Current Topics of Technology in Music Education
Introduce and discuss the state of technology in education today, reviewing popular available technologies from Interactive Whiteboards to tablet devices. Discuss the specific benefits and challenges unique to using online technology in the music classroom.
READINGS TO ESTABLISH CONTEXT:
- What is the current state of technology in education?
“Technology in Education: An Overview” EdWeek.org
- Emerging and popular available technologies in music education
“Music Learning and Technology” William Bauer, University of Florida
- Discovering the ISTE technology standards
Standards for Teachers
Standards for Students
QUESTIONS FOR CLASS DISCUSSION:
- In what ways does technology impact teaching practices in the band, orchestra, choir or general music room?
- How can I use interactive technology in my future classroom?
A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO QUAVER’S DIGITAL CURRICULUM:
What is Quaver Music?
Create a Quaver Teacher Account:
Visit QuaverMusic.com/Quickstart for video instructions
Navigate to www.QuaverMusic.com
Click SIGN UP
Complete all the fields
Enter your username and password
Select CLICK HERE
Enter the QuaverCode supplied by your instructor
DISCUSS SOME BEST PRACTICES FOR USING
AN ONLINE CURRICULUM:
- Read the online articles “Technology in Education: An Overview”, and “Music Learning and Technology.”
Submit a 1-2 page summary of the main ideas.
- Devise a short personal statement/teaching philosophy (2-3 sentences) about the use of technology in the music classroom.
- Watch two modules from Level II of the Quaver Professional Development Curriculum:
Curriculum 101 (15 min)
ClassPlay Pre-Practicum (13 min)